About RJE Technologies, Inc.
Safety Turtle was conceived in 1996 by Dr. Bob Lyons and his partners at Square Peg Communications www.squarepeg.ca. Dr. Lyons was inspired by his personal experience with toddlers and backyard pools, and his background in radio and satellite communications. Following testing in the summer, Safety Turtle was launched at the National Pool & Spa Show in New Orleans in November 1998. The product’s virtues, simplicity of use and robustness of performance, were immediately embraced by North American consumers. A US patent for the invention was awarded in 1999.
Terrapin has continued product development and an education campaign to fully satisfy the broader international market for an effective personal immersion alarm:
- 2002 - “Turtle Power” battery pack and waterproof bag accessory makes Safety Turtle fully portable
- 2002 - Safety Turtle featured for the first of three times on the Oprah Winfrey show
- 2003 - Turtle Visor protects seniors and rehab patients doing water physiotherapy
- 2003 - Commercial/extended range system for waterfronts, estates and resorts/condos/hotels, which also provides dual alarming and a capability to connect to a home alarm system
- 2004 - “CE” model approved for Europe (433 MHz)
- 2004 - Turtle “Adaptor” securely attaches Turtle sensor to any pet collar or life jacket
- 2005 - 2007 - Man overboard alarm and wireless lanyard receives marine industry awards
- 2006 - As recommended by Redwoods Insurance and Y-Services, YMCA adopts Turtle on pool lifeguard’s rescue buoy to auto alert rescue in process
- 2006 - Safety Turtle wireless Gate Alarm / Door Alarm provides second layer of protection in single system
- 2011 - Safety Turtle SOS immersion sensor for adults tolerates heavy, prolonged rain / splash
Safety Turtle has been widely publicized around the world, and is now sold in Europe, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Latin America, Bermuda, and at numerous vacation destinations. Please explore our site to learn more about Safety Turtle and how to protect your loved ones around water. Don’t hesitate to send us your questions and comments.
Biographical Sketch – Bob Lyons, PhD
Dr. Bob Lyons has 30 years experience developing radio and satellite communications systems, and 20 years experience leading communications technology companies.
Since 1998, Dr. Lyons has focused his energies on the commercialization of Safety Turtle. As President of Terrapin, he directs the engineering evolution, manufacture and worldwide sale of Safety Turtle in a variety of product configurations – residential, commercial, and marine. In 2004, Bob won the Manning Innovation Award, sponsored by Noranda Inc. [Canada], for his safety innovation.
In addition to managing Terrapin, Bob has been a relentless advocate of technology to reduce backyard pool drowning of young children. He is a member of the ASTM Committee that drafted the Standard for Pool Alarms, and has written articles and given industry seminars on pool alarms and protecting toddlers near backyard pools. In the videos below, Bob explains history of the product as a child immersion alarm, and its subsequent application for pets.
Available publications by Dr. Bob Lyons:
- Canadian Vet, Pools - the silent threat to pets, July/August 2009 [ PDF, 277k ]
- Municipal World Magazine, Municipalities Open Door to Mandatory Four-Sided Pool Fencing, June 2009
[ PDF, 462k ]
- Swimming World Magazine, Toddlers and Backyard Pools, July 2008
[ PDF, 132k ]
- Independent Pool Group [Canada] newsletter, Pools and Pets, Spring 2008
[ PDF, 132k ]
- Canadian Spa & Pool, Toddlers and Backyard Pools: Understanding the Threat, 2006
[ PDF, 480k ]
- Globe and Mail, Technology can buoy pool safety, 2004 [ PDF, 176k ]
List of Industry Seminars given by Dr. Bob Lyons:
- "New Technology", 11th Annual National Drowning Prevention Symposium, San Diego, March 8, 2012
- "Alarms, Breaking the Silence", 9th Annual National Drowning Prevention Symposium, Pittsburgh, April 26, 2010
- "Pool Alarms: Types, Applications and Operation", Atlantic City Pool & Spa Show, January 28, 2008”
- "All About Pets and Pools: Safety for Pet Lovers", Atlantic City Pool & Spa Show, January 29, 2008”
- "Everything You Need to Know About Pool Alarms", Atlantic City Pool & Spa Show, January 23, 2007
- "Selling Safety to Your Customer", Atlantic City Pool & Spa Show, January 25, 2006
- "Pool Safety: Layers of Protection", Mid America Pool & Spa Show, January 18, 2006
- "Pool Builder Role in Drowning Prevention", 2005 International Pool & Spa and Backyard Living Conference, Orlando, November 1, 2005
- "Safety Education for Your Customers", 2005 International Pool & Spa and Backyard Living Conference, Las Vegas, December 2, 2004
- "Personal Immersion Alarms", International Boating and Water Safety Summit, Panama City, April 21, 2004
- "Exceeding Expectations Through Customer Care", Canadian Pool & Spa Show, December 9, 2003
- "What's New in Pool Alarms", Mid America Pool & Spa Show, January, 2003
- "Pool Alarms & Safety Vacuum Release Systems", Atlantic City Pool & Spa Show, January 31, 2002
- "Swimming Pool Alarms", Canadian Pool & Spa Show, December 11, 2001
- "Swimming Pool Alarms: Coming of Age", Atlantic City Pool & Spa Show, January 23, 2001
- "Why Toddlers Drown in Backyard Pools", Mid America Pool & Spa Show, January, 2000
List of Awards: